Friday 2 March 2012

Castle with a Tower

My third model I am doing for the project is a castle that I am using as environment to set the scene as 15th century Italy. I am modelling it after Vincigliata Castle, which is a medieval castle located in the region of Tuscany. The images I am using as reference are:


I started the model with the tower in one of the corners of the castle, and it didn't go too badly considering it was my first proper attempt at modelling a building. For the shape I just used a box and extruded polygons and edges where needed. I also used the bridge tool to create the slants on the top of the tower. To create the windows I cut out polygons (using the cut tool while in editable poly) where needed so that I could get that arched shape, and extruded them inwards and I did the same for the frame of the window. I used a darker brick texture for the main building and a slightly lighter brick texture for the window frame and accents.





Once I had the tower done, I made 4 more boxes for the rest of the castle and did mostly the same thing with extruding and cutting polygons. The thing I dislike most about it is the lack of detail; it's just a building with no real atmosphere. I also don't like that the windows are just black but I couldn't figure out how to make a hole all the way through the building and cap off the inside so you couldn't see inside the wall. Before I start animating, I want to edit this model more so that it has more life, and so you can see inside the windows and for there to be an actual doorway. I would also like to tweak the vertices so that lines aren't completely straight, so there are some bumps and tears in the castle walls, to add to the realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment